The 18th International Conference on Principles of Distributed Systems
16-19 December 2014,
Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy
OPODIS is an open forum for the exchange of state-of-the-art knowledge on distributed computing and distributed computer systems. All aspects of distributed systems are within the scope of OPODIS, including theory, specification, design, performance, and system building.
OPODIS is traditionally strong in the theoretical aspects of distributed systems; furthermore, OPODIS is expanding its coverage to include the overlap between theoretical solutions and practical implementations, as well as experimentation and quantitative assessments.
A quality OPODIS paper will typically consider a significant problem in distributed computing, study an original solution, and evaluate it by formal, analytical, simulation, or experimental means. Positive, negative, and reproduction results that advance the state of the art are equally welcome.
Topics covered by OPODIS include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Cloud computing
- Communication and synchronization protocols
- Dependable computing: theory and practice
- Distributed algorithms: shared memory and message passing
- Distributed database systems
- Distributed event processing
- Distributed operating systems
- Dynamic and time-varying networks
- Embedded distributed systems
- Fault-tolerance, reliability, availability
- Grid and cluster computing
- Large-scale systems
- Mobile agents and autonomous robots
- Peer-to-peer systems, overlay networks
- Performance: availability, latency, throughput, balance, communication, energy, etc.
- Programming languages, specification and verification applied to distributed systems
- Security and privacy
- Self-* solutions for distributed systems
- Sensor networks
- Social networks: modeling, analysis, and synthesis
- Wireless and mobile computing
This edition of the OPODIS conference will take place in Cortina d'Ampezzo, a marvelous village in Italy. Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy's premier mountain resort, is exclusively positioned in the breathtaking UNESCO World Natural Heritage Dolomites, one of the most beautiful and unique alpine regions in the world. A Best of the Alps resort and a symbol of style, fashion and the Italian way of life, Cortina is the perfect destination for those who seek a truly special experience where natural beauty, culture, tradition, art, food and wine fuse together in pure joie de vivre. The spectacular scenery and full range of alpine sports and outdoor activities offered by this bustling mountain town, host to world-cups and international championships, attract nature lovers and sports enthusiasts during all seasons.